Tuesday, January 19, 2010

So...What's Your Favorite Wine?

In every field there is that question, the one that everyone inevitably asks you, whether in job interviews or at a family reunion. So you are a writer, what’s your favorite book? An artist, who’s your inspiration? A chef, what’s your favorite food? In wine, so what’s your favorite wine? It’s a completely legitimate question stemming from genuine interest, but somehow I can never seem to answer it.

Not only do I not have an immediate answer, but this question often sends me into a tail spin. I usually mutter something about never being able to pick just one or mention that the answer depends on many factors. But it eventually devolves into babble and I am left why wondering why I don’t have just a simple, perfect answer to this obvious question.

I try to really get to the bottom of it. I imagine that it is truly my last day on earth and I can drink whatever I want, regardless of price or accessibility. I think long and hard, but all that comes into my head is more questions. “Well, what is the weather like?” I ask myself. “What am I doing? What am I eating?” Then this brings up the question of what my last meal would be, and then my mind if off to the races and there is no reining it in.

In order to deal with this predicament, I have resolved to breakdown this dreaded question into many; factoring in food, season, price, etc, and to begin answering them one at a time...perhaps, posting by posting. Check back tomorrow for my favorite post-ski day wines for under $20!

No comments:

Post a Comment